Friday, January 11, 2008

Yut Kee - An institution in KL, visited for the first time

Yut Kee
Add: 35, Jalan Dang Wangi, KL
Tel : +603 2298 8108


I was so very excited about visiting this institution in Kuala Lumpur ... I was impressed by the authenticity of the place, round marble tables and wooden chairs ala a kon-loh mee coffeeshop that my dad and grandma used to take me to in Klang. Nostalgia ... There was a cool menu to welcome us as well, with lots of yummy stuff ... hmm what should I eat!??


What is Hainanese style western cuisine?
In colonial Malaysia, or Malaya as it was known, many westeners employed Hainan domestic help and chefs in their homes ... hence the fusion between Hainanese and Western cuisine, culminating in ... Hainanese Chicken Chop!
I was a little dissapointed, as I thought the overall presentation was a little flat, but the chicken was rather tasty. Just too soggy, I reckon, and I do prefer the one at 99 Steak and Chops in Taman Tun Dr Ismail.


Would you believe Yut Kee draws its heritage way back to the 1920s. The current owner is a gentleman by the name of Jack Lee. But it was his son whom I saw behind the till, frantically but efficiently controlling the 'show'! I have to say the service is efficient, quick, and pleasant.

Anyway, on to dish two ... Much MUCH better. Roti babi! Not the most PC (politically correct) name on the menu, but certainly deserves its place in the institutions of gluttony in Kuala Lumpur. Excellent, but I hear that there may be better variants in someone's Hainanese household ... hmm, left to be seen (oops, eaten!).


We were greedy ... also ordered the Belacan Fried Rice. This was a tad soggy, and dissapointing. Too hot, not enough flavour :-(


As was the much talked about marble cake which we had for dessert ... a little soggy, overly sweet, not my favourite cake.


Overall, it was an interesting experience. Maybe I had my expectations a little too lofted ... nevertheless, this blogger HAS finally made it to Yut Kee!

Views from the carpark where I parked my car ... How appropriate, KL's most famous monuments/buildings alongside one of her eating institutions!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya, I agree with you. Yut Kee is always packed but I was really disappointed. I've had better Hainanese Chicken Chop. The marble butter cake and kaya roll is too sweet, and expensive too.

Julian Si said...

Thanks for the feedback .. I am always on the hunt for supremo HCC (Hainanese Chicken Chop), do let me know your favourite ones!

Anonymous said...

My Hainanese grandpa's restaurant back in hometown but too bad it's no longer operating. :) I'm still in search for that authentic HCC too.

TummyFull said...

Maybe you can try Sin Kok Thye in Port Klang. The shop is just opposite Port Klang wet market. They have their own version of chicken chop too. I like their noodles soup there. http://boonchuan82.blogspot.com/2008/03/sin-kok-thye-coffee-shop-port-klang.html

Julian Si said...

BC, thanks so much . Will try it out!!