Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Canon E18 error - Lens stuck on a G9

About a week ago ... I lost the use of my 5 month old Canon Powershot G9 ... the lens mechanism just packed in!



I found out that there were MANY discussions about Canon's E18 fault (Lens stuck whilst trying to extend) ...

I was shocked when my Canon G9 lens decided to pack in one Sunday afternoon ... just didn't want to retract. I tried the This web site's mission is to provide a source of information and help for the Canon E18 Error. The E18 seems to be a significant flaw in an otherwise great camera. It is a flaw well know by users of Canon Powershot and Ixus cameras and is currently not acknowledged by Canon as a flaw in camera design.

HOW IT ALL WORKS:
Canon E18 error happens when the lens gets stuck while trying to extend. The camera will beep a few times and the LCD will display a little E18 in the lower-left corner. The lens gets stuck in the extended position, and refuses to move either to focus the lens or to retract when powered off. Apparently, people who posted about this incident on forums say they had to send the camera for repair and that Canon has horrible customer support and response time.

From Wikipedia:
The E18 error as it appears on a camera's LCD display (an Ixus II in this example).In digital photography, the E18 error is an error message on Canon digital cameras. Canon says the E18 error arises when anything prevents the zoom lens from properly extending or retracting.[1] The error is not common, but has become notorious in the Canon user community as it can completely disable the camera, requiring expensive repairs.
It is currently not acknowledged by Canon as a flaw in the cameras' designs. Some users are dissatisfied with Canon's responses to E18 errors, and at least one class action lawsuit is under way.Other digital cameras suffer from similar problems, as almost all compact digital cameras with zoom lenses will give an error for a stuck lens to avoid potential mechanical damage.

Causes
According to Canon, one may get an E18 due to any of the following:
Camera activating and lens opening while in a confined space
Extracted lens getting jarred
Low battery condition as the unit is turned on or off
Dropping of the camera
Foreign substances, such as dust, sand or dirt entering into the camera body.
General jarring of the camera "General camera malfunction"

A user can generate an E18 error simply by blocking the extension of the objective or lens when the camera is turned on. The issue is when the error becomes persistent or results in the lens becoming locked in one position, disabling the camera to avoid possible further physical damage to the lens mechanism.

Repairing the E18 error
To fix the problem it is often necessary that the camera and optical assembly is disassembled, realigned and reassembled, taking several hours' labour and often requiring replacement parts. A non-warranty repair at an authorized service center reportedly costs between US $79 to $250.There are a number of online guides to repairing E18 errors oneself, from simple guides on tapping the lens back into place to complete disassembly/realignment/reassembly instructions.

Read this from a Forum, a really disgrunted customer!
I visited a Canon service center this morning. They want $157.94 to fix it. Says it needs a new lens assembly due to an impact. User error.I am going to fix it myself. I'll post the process in another thread.I took it to Canon. They said the camera is unfixable. I have a $400 brick. Mine is unfixable because the mother board has a problem.
I suspect that was due to turning the camera on and off too many times trying to make the lens move.We need to face something. Compact cameras with retractable lenses are fragile. You drop them, its $180 if Canon will fix it and maybe a new camera if they won't.
I am having second thoughts about this compact camera stuff. One can buy a Rebel body for the same price as a G9, maybe less. Everyone says how the G9 is smaller but I am beginning to think that one needs a Lensmate on it at all times to protect the fragile lens from knocks and debris. How much smaller is it than a Rebel if it has a Lensmate on it.
Before anyone knocks me for damaging my G9, I have fixed the lens assembly on 3 other compact cameras for friends and family. These things are fragile. Buy insurance if it covers accidental damage. My broken G9 is for sale on this site for parts.


This certainly differs from my experience with Canon Service, located at Peremba Square near Saujana Hotel / Japanese International school...
1) No charge (Phew!)
2) Great service (Both personal, on the phone AND on SMS as well ... great communication)
3) Prompt as well (One week only!)
AND best of all ... my G9 works great now, the lens retracts smoothly, AND Canon changed the entire optical assembly WITHOUT CHARGE!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're lucky it happened to you in the 5th month, not the 12th month + 1 day, since most cameras warranty is only 12 months.

My Digital Ixus 50 had the same problem, 1 month after warranty period expired. Initial costing from Canon was RM400 but I managed to get a 10% discount after pleading that its an "old" 5MP camera and I could buy a new one for that kinda money.

Its been close to 10 months since replacement with the new lens kit and its holding up pretty well, but I won't count on it yet.

Anonymous said...

I ad the same problem, after just one month. Canon blamed it on " liquid damage", which if that was true, was definitely not my fault. They have a design or, more likely, a manufacturing process flaw, and they won't admit or fix it. Too bad, they usually make good products.

Anonymous said...

Just got a lense error on my 7 month old G9. Fails to retract and just beeps with a high pitched whistle. Sending it back via FutureShop to Canon Canada. See what happens. I baby the camera and it hasn't been knocked or anything.

Anonymous said...

I get this error in new sx10 from canon, what a sorprise when taking photo to the moon, I turned off the camera and then I needed to turn it on and get the lens error and cannot use it anymore.

What this shit canon !!!!
I spent 520 dolars on it to import to argentina, no warranty!!!

qaz said...

I have had this happen to three canons. I learned, for instance, that you can't carry it in your pocket with a cell phone. And you can't put it in a small place in your car. Repairs...? The cost of the camera makes repair unreasonable. IF you are careful, in the old school tradition, with your camera you can wear it out before you damage it (And I have done this with Canons before.) But a little transgression and the penalty is pretty severe.

Julian Si said...

Sigh ... looks like MANY people (Though I am sure we are still a small sample size of Canon users!) have had bad experiences with the lens not retracting. Had no idea ... That I was not alone!!

I have to say Canon Malaysia's service is exceptional!

And, my friend went to Patagonia, Chile on a real hard-core trekking trip with his S95 and had no problems!

QAZ - Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

Anonymous said...

I have been fed up with Canon. My Fuji has worked flawlessly for ten+ years. Pics aren't as good as the Canon but at least it works.

I first had a problem with my G9 when it wouldn't power on. From one day to the next, no power. I sent it to Canon and after $250, voila it works - for a whole year. Ugh. A year later I get this lens error. I must say my camera is always cared for and kept in a case.

So one year later, now I have this lens error. I had it repaired through Cameras and Parts. It seems to work like new since getting it fixed and they cleaned the heck out of the camera. During the process I found out they do some internal corrections, one for the lens error problem and the other for the no problem thing. For those that need a Canon fixed, they were excellent to deal with. Cost was $89 through them.

I've now got an Olympus C5050 which is getting no picture from the lens. The shop I used doesn't worked on Olympus. Any suggestions of where I can get it repaired. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks and good luck to everyone dealing with this problem. Why is Canon not helping. All over the web you can read about this lens error problem. Canon should really be helping with either the repair or the cost we are out of pocket.

I will never buy a Canon product again. They don't help their customers. When I originally called Canon they suggested that I must have caused the error by either dropping it or getting sand in the lens. Neither thing happened.

Anyway, great blog for Canon lens users.