Saturday, April 12, 2008

VW Golf R32 - Test Drive

VW Golf R32

Engine: 6 cylinder petrol (Normally aspirated)
Capacity: 3.2 litres
Max Output: 250 BHp @ 6,300 RPM


Gearbox: 6 Speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG)
Top Speed: 248 Km/h
Acceleration from 0-100 Km/h: 6.2 seconds



Seats: Original Recaro bucket seats, manual adjustments
What we thought! Whilst the seats offer incredible support, and look super sweet, I am not sure if it was suitable for day to day use especially when one's posterior is a wee bit bigger then normal!


Drive: 4MOTION permanent all-wheel drive
Tyres: Omanyt alloy wheels, 7 1/2 J x 18" Tyres/Rims
Safety: ABS, ESP, EDL, Traction Control (TCS)


Here's a view of the rear! So sweet ... these twin tail pipes, produce a glorious exhaust note. Like a mini Formula One car :-)


Best of all, I had a chance to test drive this baby-beast!
Fatimah of VW PJ (Federal Highway, Tel: +603 7954 3467) informed me that this was the first time VW Malaysia allowed a test drive of this elusive car (In fact, this was the first example I had seen in the country, after seeing one in Singapore, many months ago.) ... I felt privileged!
In fact, this was the 2nd car I test drove at the VW Experience, after the EOS, so it couldn't have been more different. From a refined and slightly-feminine EOS to a hard-core and rowdy R32, I thought!
Whilst the exhaust note was so sweeeeeeeet, I did wonder if one would get bored with it using the R32 as a daily drive. Also, those Recaro bucket seats, hmm... just too tight!
What was impressive though was the seamless DSG gearbox, the relative refinement (Yes!), and the built quality (Typical of VW-Audi).
However, I didn't find the 4-Motion particularly effective compared to the GTi's standard front-wheel drive. Maybe it was cos' i hardly pushed the limits of this baby-uber-mobile!
All in all ... I'd choose the GTi especially for the savings of RM$100k and that front nose ... but ooooh, I loved the soundtrack of the R32.

A parting shot of the "VW Halo Car" as I dubbed it ...

No comments: